No products in the cart.
Makes: 6 servings
Yield: 2 cups
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chill At least 4 hrs
A dollop of whipped cream foam crowns this rich, chocolate mousse. For maximum fun, serve the mousse in espresso cups.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- In a small saucepan bring 1/3 cup of the whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee powder in water; set aside.
- In a small metal bowl or the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar with a wire whisk until combined. Place over gently boiling water (metal bowl or upper pan should not touch water). Cook, stirring rapidly with a whisk, about 10 minutes or until egg mixture begins to thicken (160 degrees F). Remove from heat.
- Add coffee mixture to warm egg mixture; whisk until combined. Beat egg mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes or until mixture is cool; set aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a chilled mixing bowl, beat remaining 2/3 cup whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream, one-third at a time, into egg mixture. Gently fold whipped cream-egg mixture, one-third at a time, into the chocolate mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly among 6 chilled espresso cups or small glasses. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with sweetened whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired.